Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Last Week in California

Wow, what a week. I thought I knew Southern California, but 30 years away, with just short
visits can not keep the familiarization current. When we flew into LA-X, we got a car, and began our treck to Arcadia. It was rush hour, and it took over 2 and 1/2 hours to get there.
and that was without freeways. Have you ever been confussed? Well, I was. A freeway had
two entrances, one west and one east...only the directions seemed to be in different directions
than the signs. Indigen (native) folks know that the 913 freeway goes to this city or that city,
which is a far cry from the impression a foreigner (alien) gets. So-o we left LAX and began to go north on Sepulveda.... that street used to go into San Fernando Valley , and may still, but
somehow the streets seemed to indicate our closing in on the Beach area.... And Cuver city
seemed the wrong way to go when we wanted Huntington and the area near the Race Track.

Then Soperhill, and Century seemed to be next to each other... now remember, it has been 30 years since I've lived there, and things change. Then there is the other freeway, the 27-3 which goes up and down, and not in any direction.....

My Sister was angel. She made maps with highlined directions... Hoo Booy - we were able to get from one place to another.... visited with my grandson and his wonderful lady. He took us to near the center of LA, and we went to the 1st French Dip Sandwitch shop in the State ? or
perhaps the West coast ? I forget which..

Seriously, we had a fantastic time, and enjoyed ourselves. To finish out the trip, we went to Disneyland in Buena Park..... without kids....? ...Yep, withjust ourselves and us old one's had
a great time.... There is anew CALIFORNIA area we had no idea was there... The wife did not
want to go to any parachute dropping, so we settled on a Big Wheel with gondola's on it... just
like the old Fair Wheel... only with swinging baskets - not for those with funny stomach's.
And there was the Indiana Jones Ride. It was nice to hear my wife laugh a lot. Another ride
was the "Soaring over California" at least I think that was the name.... what a great ride that was...

There was only one problem area.... I put the claim check for our car on the rental car counter, when looking for the paper work for the rental, and forgot to put it back in my wallet. So when we got off the Jet in Sea Tac - and went to the parking lot, we had no claim check, with the words - "No car will be released without this claim check." The guys at Park and Jet, were great. I did not have to walk bare foot on hot coals, or go anything ... they were understanding, but they did snicker, when I told them where the claim check was.....All in all,
we had a great time.....

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Grandpa! Sounds like you had a great trip! Hopefully I'll be having a trip to the west soon. The snow has melted and the sun has been shining most days, which makes me more fond of Pittsburgh than I have been in the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did indeed have a wonderful time! Went to church on Sunday and saw a few old friends... the number depletes every time we visit down there as we're not the only ones growing old. Also we had a wonderful breakfast with our dear brother, Trent. He looks sooo good as he's become a health guru and I love talking with him abt foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you had a good time & that you're back safely. Glad they let you have your car...it'd be a long walk without it.

    ReplyDelete